You will need:
- Permission to climb on the furniture
- A stopwatch / timer
What to do:
- Ask your parent/carer to read through this activity and then ask them, VERY politely, if you may pleeeeease have permission to use one room in the home
- DO NOT USE ANY OTHER ROOM!
- Now look around the room. If there is a lot of furniture, great. If there isn’t, you might need to set out some cushions, or other ‘islands’ on the floor (scrap paper will do).
- Set yourself (or each other if playing with someone else) a challenge. This could be to get to a door and escape, or to rescue an item you have placed somewhere.
- Whatever you do, REMEMBER: THE FLOOR IS LAVA. If you fall into the lava, you must start again!
KS2: You could also: Time yourself, each time trying to improve your time by varying the route/technique. Choose a different aim to increase, or decrease, the difficulty. Increase the difficulty by removing some islands. Take it outside and set up an obstacle course!
Learning Outcome: Children will learn to use planning and independent problem-solving skills. They will also do physical activity!
To sign-up to our free activity newsletter for 3 activities a week, click here
To subscribe to our paid newsletter, to receive an additional 5 activities a week, sign up here: